Saturday, November 24, 2012

Why

Ripped a page out of my journal this a.m., scribbled, "I LOVE STORIES," stumbled to my wall and nailed the glaring letters above my desk. This is what its come to.  Months of writing, emotional roller coasters, sleepless nights, and questions, lots of questions that need an answer if I expect to keep going...

Why am  I in the woods?
Why is my laptop in front of me again?
Why have I been looking at these blank pages for hours?
Why the last three years?
Why the 1,000's of pages of rough drafts and deleted scenes?
Why am I doing this to myself?
Why me?

because... "I LOVE STORIES." for the sake of it, for the love of the action, the love of the expression, my own heart flowing onto a page.

Today, as the cycle continues, and I find my mind racing between the pages, overwhelmed by the magnitude of the project, I go back to what made me start. I love stories, because I love life and life flows out of me when I write.

What makes life flow out of you? Before you start anything, nail down your why, maybe literally to your wall. If it's real enough, honest enough, living inside you, it will sustain you.

Love it. Respect it. At the very least give it a chance. Your why is meant to change you.







No comments:

Post a Comment